All Aboard COTA Crimes!

A veteran commuter, including almost two decades riding the coaches and rails of New York City's Metropolitan Transit Authority, I have been amazed at the lack of accountability on the part of the Central Ohio Transit Authority, particularly when it comes to the ineptitude and inconvenience of the system, and treatment of its customers. Unlike most metropolitan newspapers, The Columbus Dispatch barely covers this beat--I guess it's readers all are safely ensconced in their earth-killing machines and don't ever have to bother with riding the bus. Even now, most people look at me strange when I explain that I'm a bus rider and don't have a car. But even more astounding to me is the riding public's apparent willingness to endure rude drivers, bad service, nonexistent transfer procedures, and fare increases, just to name a few injustices. This blog will serve to document the abuses, highlight service lapses and shortcomings, and put the word out about discourteous drivers. Kudos will be provided when earned, and readers are encouraged to contribute accounts of their own experiences. It is hoped that the effort will result in the establishment of a commuter-advocacy organization like New York's Straphanger Campaign, to put the system's wheels to the fire. WE DESERVE BETTER!!!

Sunday, September 6, 2015

Our Filthy Bus Stops (an occasional series): Rider in the Storm at the Bus Stop to Nowhere

I often go to the OSU Medical Center's Eye and Ear Medicine facility at 931 Olentangy River Rd., which also houses the urology and dermatology practices as well. It's a good quarter-mile walk through hot parking lots from the East Third Street bus stop just west of Olentangy River Road that I call the Bus Stop to Nowhere.

It also gets an honorable mention as one of "Our Filthy Bus Stops." It's not so much a stop really as a dirt trench along the side of the road, with no shelter available, no nearby pedestrian walkway, assorted litter (plastic bottles and cigarette butts), and it's dangerously close to traffic. (I was going to take more detailed pictures of the trash at this stop, however, the monsoon in which I was standing at the time made me afraid that my camera would suffer water damage.)
The photo above is of the Westbound bus stop. As you can see, there is a well-worn path to the patch of ground marked by a sign that is supposed to be a bus stop, so I suspect that means quite a few people use this stop, including patients at the clinic. Nearby is a new strip mall with nouveau cuisine fast food restaurants that probably provide employment for many a No. 3 Northwest Blvd. rider. At the next stop on the line is the ginormous new Grandview Yards Giant Eagle store.
It seems to never fail to rain, snow, hail or sleet by the time I've finished my visit to the clinic, so I trudge through the elements for the Eastbound No. 3 bus stop just right across the street. Today was no different and I was caught in a downpour that lasted the entire time I had to stand and wait (about 13 minutes). I was soaked from head to foot, and the ground underneath me at the stop started to get spongy--good and muddy. I had the choice of two wonderfully welcoming manhole covers--which also double as seats on nice days--to stand on to avoid the encroaching mud.
Meanwhile, that picnic patio at the police station just behind looks like an inviting place to escape the downpour. Trouble is, if you're standing there, the bus won't see you, and will just barrel on by, leaving you to wait for the next one, which should come, oh, in about 30 minutes or so....

My suggestion to COTA (for what little it's worth): Please put a bona fide bus stop WITH a shelter at this and other stops along the No. 3 line. The burgeoning Grandview Yards area, which includes hundreds of units of new (market rate, natch) housing, will ensure that ridership on this line will increase--if you want it to. But you must first make waiting for the bus a pleasant waste of time instead of a chore in which one may be called upon to do battle with the elements. A couple of shelters, equipped benches and timetables, would be wonderful. Especially for those of us who might be needing to go to the doctor and not want to risk our lives and well-beings doing so.

Stay tuned. I'll discuss another aspect of the COTA commuters' dilemna in an upcoming post: Loop the Loop.

No comments:

Post a Comment