All Aboard COTA Crimes!

A veteran commuter, including almost two decades riding the coaches and rails of New York City's Metropolitan Transit Authority, I have been amazed at the lack of accountability on the part of the Central Ohio Transit Authority, particularly when it comes to the ineptitude and inconvenience of the system, and treatment of its customers. Unlike most metropolitan newspapers, The Columbus Dispatch barely covers this beat--I guess it's readers all are safely ensconced in their earth-killing machines and don't ever have to bother with riding the bus. Even now, most people look at me strange when I explain that I'm a bus rider and don't have a car. But even more astounding to me is the riding public's apparent willingness to endure rude drivers, bad service, nonexistent transfer procedures, and fare increases, just to name a few injustices. This blog will serve to document the abuses, highlight service lapses and shortcomings, and put the word out about discourteous drivers. Kudos will be provided when earned, and readers are encouraged to contribute accounts of their own experiences. It is hoped that the effort will result in the establishment of a commuter-advocacy organization like New York's Straphanger Campaign, to put the system's wheels to the fire. WE DESERVE BETTER!!!

Sunday, September 27, 2015

I Heard It on COTA (an occasional post on snatches of conversations heard on the bus)

Time: Thursday night, a week or so ago
Place: Downtown-bound No. 2
Set-Up: Haggard-looking young dude, early 20s, sleeveless t-shirt exposing numerous tattoos on his biceps, saggy pants, and with that menacing demeanor that seems typical of today's youth, gets on bus with equally haggard-looking girlfriend sporting a bad dye job. He's carrying what appears to be a cage; I recognize it as a raccoon trap. He places it on the floor, and stands just behind the driver. She goes further into the bus, and takes a seat about halfway back. Is she embarrassed that she's with a guy carrying around a raccoon trap?

Everyone on the bus strains their necks to see what's in the "cage."

A group of women who, from their jovial conversation and laughter, sound glad to be off their office-cleaning jobs, board the bus. One of them looks down at the cage, and asks, "What's in the cage?"

"Nuthin'," replies the dude. "It's a raccoon trap. It's empty."

One of other women, looking him up and down, walks up aisle and quips: "I see why that raccoon ran away!"

* * * *

Time: Friday, Sept. 25, about 5:50 P.M.
Place: Northbound No. 81
Set-Up: A portly woman, mid-30s, sitting up front, is having an animated discussion with the driver, talking about her no-good boyfriend. I pick up the monologue from there, as I'm just boarding the bus.

"My momma taught me how to shoot, and I got a few guns.

"One night I'm cleanin' my guns, got 'em laid out on a sheet on the table, and I'm just cleanin', and he walks in, and he asks me what I'm doing, and I ask him to choose one, and he's askin' me why, and I tell him, ''cause that's the one I'm goin' to shoot your ass with!'"





No comments:

Post a Comment