All Aboard COTA Crimes!

A veteran commuter, including almost two decades riding the coaches and rails of New York City's Metropolitan Transit Authority, I have been amazed at the lack of accountability on the part of the Central Ohio Transit Authority, particularly when it comes to the ineptitude and inconvenience of the system, and treatment of its customers. Unlike most metropolitan newspapers, The Columbus Dispatch barely covers this beat--I guess it's readers all are safely ensconced in their earth-killing machines and don't ever have to bother with riding the bus. Even now, most people look at me strange when I explain that I'm a bus rider and don't have a car. But even more astounding to me is the riding public's apparent willingness to endure rude drivers, bad service, nonexistent transfer procedures, and fare increases, just to name a few injustices. This blog will serve to document the abuses, highlight service lapses and shortcomings, and put the word out about discourteous drivers. Kudos will be provided when earned, and readers are encouraged to contribute accounts of their own experiences. It is hoped that the effort will result in the establishment of a commuter-advocacy organization like New York's Straphanger Campaign, to put the system's wheels to the fire. WE DESERVE BETTER!!!

Thursday, August 11, 2016

Despicable COTA plastic bags have a use after all

Finally! Someone has figured out a use for those earth-killing plastic bags that COTA feels compelled to place for "passenger convenience" on their buses.

A few months ago, I was riding the #2 North High Street line, headed downtown. One of the resident COTA crazies got on--I've seen her before, once cursing a bus driver a blue streak for some alleged wrong--and pulled one of the bags off the rack, sat down, and proceeded to barf inside the bag.

"Awww, that's better!" she said to no one in particular, as several other rider/witnesses attempted to keep their own gag reflexes in check.

She sat behind the bus driver, who asked her, "Are you OK?"

"Yeah, why you askin'?"

"Well, I think you need to get off the bus, if you're sick," said the female bus driver, an attractive strawberry blonde who reminds me of young Sissy Spacek.

"Why? I ain't doin' nothin'," the puker spat, indignation rising in her voice (I've seen her thrown off the bus before for cursing loudly at another rider for no apparent reason).

"Well, you're spewing bodily fluids, and that's a potential danger to other passengers," the driver replied.

"Oh bullshit, it's in the bag," Pukey responded. "It ain't gonna get on anyone."

I have to admit the bag did hold the puke in check. I watched it dangle back and forth from her wrist, waiting for it to leak.

"I can't allow you to expose passengers to potentially harmful bodily fluids," the driver insisted.

Pukey got adamant, and said, "I'm getting off at the next stop (South High Street and State Street) anyway."

She did, and casually tossed the puke-laden COTA bag into the trashcan (thankfully, and not in the street, where I see so many COTA bags these days).

Now whenever I get that all-too-frequent urge to puke while on the bus, I'll just reach for a handy COTA barf bag!

No comments:

Post a Comment